March 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM by Dr. Drang
Today I installed Safari 3.1 on my iMac at work and found that certain links didn’t work. I could click on them, but nothing would happen. Command-clicking would open the link in a new tab, and by Control-clicking I could open the link in either a new tab or a new window. But regular old clicking did nothing. Some links, on the other hand, worked just fine. After a bit of testing, I learned that the links that failed were always links that would open in a new window.
This was surprising, especially since I had installed Safari 3.1 on my iBook a couple of days ago and found no such problem. I use Bloglines as my RSS reader, and it makes extensive use of links that open in new windows. There was no way that I hadn’t clicked a “new window” link on my iBook in two days.
After a bit of Googling, I found several complaints about this problem. This discussion suggests the SafariStand plugin is to blame and recommends upgrading it. I’ll give it a try when I’m back at work, but I’m dubious. My memory isn’t what it used to be, but I really don’t remember upgrading SafariStand on my iBook in the past couple of days. And a search of my Downloads folder turned up no recent SafariStand disk images or zip files. Maybe it is SafariStand, and it’s just that the version on my iBook, although not recent, is more up-to-date than the version on my iMac. Or maybe it’s a problem that affects Intel Macs and leaves PowerPC systems alone.
Updating to the most recent version of SafariStand fixed the problem on the iMac.